Thursday, November 23, 2006

Let's go egosurfing now, everybody's learning how

Please pardon me in advance - this entry is all about me. Or, rather, about my name.

I think that everybody searches the web for their own name every now and again. This practice is so common that it has its own name: egosurfing. (It's also called autogoogling, which sounds vaguely unsavory.) For me, the fun part of egosurfing isn't finding references to myself on the web - I already know what I've done on (or to) the web. The fun part is finding references to people with the same name as me who aren't me.

Here are some of the references I found to people named Dave Till who aren't me. Some of them may refer to the same person; I'm not sure. All I know is that they refer to somebody with my name.
And there's a few for my given name of David Till as well:
There's also a singer named David Till from Malaysia, but his page is gone, alas. And there's my second cousin Dave from Wisconsin (hi, if you're reading this!).

When I lived in the Beach district of Toronto (from 1996 to 2000), I used to get phone calls for another Dave Till, as I was the only one with that name in the phone book. I found out things about him - one phone call at a time - but I never met him. I can tell you, though, that he was a stage manager living in Toronto, and he had an old buddy named Ern who lived in Hawkesville, Ontario.