Today, I have been listening to The Streets' "Dry Your Eyes". It's about a man who is just discovering that his girlfriend wants to break up with him. He's desperately trying to hold on to her - literally - but she's already made up her mind.
If the authors of I Love You, Nice To Meet You are to be believed, the poor guy in that song didn't stand a chance. One of the authors, Kevin Bleyer, claims that many women break up with their boyfriends without telling them. As Bleyer puts it, "When a woman breaks up with us, she's not actually breaking up with us. The transaction happened long ago. We're simply being debriefed. She's just getting us up to speed." The female half of the author team, Lori Gottlieb, claims, "Women may be guided by emotion, but when it comes to ending a relationship, we're as cold-blooded as Saddam Hussein." (Hey, I'm just quoting, not necessarily agreeing!)
I got this in the mail today:
Hi,
VrAGRA
CrALiS
VALrUM
web address: [deleted]
what we heed to make this prison world a thing of the past.
And I got a new bank scam message that started like this:
Dear Friend,
I wish to accost you with a request that would be of immense benefit to both of us. Being an executor of wills, it is possible that we may be tempted to make fortune out of our client's situations, when we cannot help it, or left with no better option.
Erm... dude, you're supposed to make this sound like a good thing.
In the news today, John Tory, the leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party, is calling for a province-wide registry listing houses that had been formerly used as marijuana "grow-ops". I don't see the point of this. Does growing marijuana in a house cause structural damage to the building?
I'm off now to finally bite the bullet: I'm going to update my computer to include all of the latest Microsoft Windows XP updates. This might take ages. When I'm done, my hard drive might be a smoking ruin. If you never hear from me again, you'll know why; tell my next of kin that I love them, will you?