As usual, my daily ration of spam includes messages from eager overseas sellers of assorted pharmaceuticals. One message offers to sell me Vixxagra, Vaxxlium, Cixxalis (ask your docxxtor!), Xaxxnax, or Amxxbien. At reasonable prixxces, too, no doubt. All I have to do is give them my credxxit card number, thus giving them the opportunity to commit lots of fraxxud. What could be more fair than that?
And then there's this:
Manzilla! Size does matter! You seen this on TV!
Yes! Manzilla! The giant, er, member that threatens the unsuspecting population of Tokyo!
The Globe and Mail is devoting a large chunk of today's paper to articles on climate change. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is about to release its latest report, which will state, in no uncertain terms, that there's a lot of warming going on and that we humans are mostly responsible for it.
And people are realizing this: according to the Globe's article, 26 percent of the people who responded to a recent poll listed the environment as their number one concern. The figure for last May was 3 percent. The same article states that a majority of respondents "would be willing to pay more for fuel-efficient cars, reduce the amount they fly, cut the amount they drive in half, and have the economy grow at 'a significantly slower rate' to help clean up the environment."
For me, the biggest change I have to make to be more environment-friendly would be to use fewer non-recyclable items. I love to eat takeout food - I don't like to cook - and most of it comes in non-recyclable plastic packages. I did find out that Toronto allows residents of multi-unit buildings to recycle cereal boxes, paper and junk mail, and milk cartons; these were things I didn't know could be recycled. You can now also mix all your recyclables together - they'll sort it out for you.
Maybe I can find takeout places that serve food in recyclable containers. Hopefully, that will be possible. I'd like to leave a smaller footprint, if I can.