Monday, December 18, 2006

An inconvenient truth, part 2

The book version of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth lists a bunch of things we ordinary consumers can do to try to maybe ensure that Florida isn't under 20 feet of water by mid-century. Like most of us, I'm doing a few of them, but probably not enough; some of them, I have no control over. Here's a couple of them:

Choose energy-efficient lighting. I did not know that compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) use much much less energy than standard light bulbs: a 13-watt CFL is as bright as a standard 60-watt light bulb. And it lasts longer, too, if the promotional material on the CFL packaging is to be believed: apparently, the bulbs I just bought will last until 2011.

According to Gore, if every household in the U.S. substituted one CFL bulb for one ordinary bulb, it would be equivalent to removing one million cars from American roads. (Fast Company magazine has an article describing the potential energy-saving and cost-saving benefits of CFLs in more detail. The numbers are kind of startling.)

Use your appliances efficiently: For example, your stove shouldn't be next to your refrigerator. That makes sense. (And reminds me of the old Steven Wright routine about buying a dehumidifier and a humidifier, putting them in the same room, and letting them battle it out.) They also suggest only using your washer and dishwasher with full loads; me, I've never owned a dishwasher in my life. So there.

Heat and cool your house efficiently: I've never lived anywhere where I had control of my own heat. Seriously. I've mostly been in high-rises, except once when I lived in a duplex and the downstairs neighbours controlled the heat. (Which is a story in itself.) Right now, my apartment is way too warm, as it's set for weather that's colder than what we've had recently. It's also set warm enough so that people who face north don't freeze under normal winter conditions. I face south, and I had to open a window just now.

Bag your groceries in a reusable bag: I don't do this, but I reuse my plastic grocery bags for wrapping my kitchen garbage in, so that I can dump it down the garbage chute of my building. I don't know whether I get part marks for this.

Carry your own refillable bottle for water and other beverages: I used to be really bad about this, as I bought a bottle of water a day for the longest time. A few months ago, I bought one of those water purifier thingies that filters tap water. And, today, I finally found a refillable bottle - I was going to buy milk at the grocery store, and the refillable bottle display was right there. Woo hoo!

Reduce air travel: I haven't flown anywhere since 2001. This isn't because I'm an eco-warrior: it's because I can't afford it right now. (The moral: to become more energy-efficient, become poorer.)

Right now, my biggest environmental offense is my love of takeout food. That's a lot of packaging, alas. If it weren't for that, I'd be doing pretty well. Sorry about that, everybody.