Friday, December 08, 2006

Does Stéphane Dion like croissants?

The latest mini-controversy in Canadian politics is that new Liberal leader Stéphane Dion holds dual citizenship - he is also a citizen of France. Calgary Sun columnist Ezra Levant, in a column titled Question of Loyalty, wonders whether Dion will be influenced by France when deciding what to do about the "war on terror". Levant describes France as "a country that has taken up the role of lawyer and arms dealer for every terrorist state in the world, even defending Saddam Hussein until the eve of his overthrow". Whoa.

Levant's column doesn't mention how Dion got his French citizenship. According to the Globe, his mother was born in France, and he inherited his citizenship from her. In their article, Dion is quoted as saying, "I'm born like that. It's part of me. It's my mother who gave that to me. And like all sons, I love my mother and I love what she gave to me."

Today's editorial in the Calgary Sun points out that Dion's loyalty is above reproach, but suggests that he should give up his French citizenship if he becomes prime minister. Dion has offered to do this if he has to, and my guess is that he will have to.


Metafilter has a link today to a blog that lists the top 50 music videos of 2006, which looks like a good way to waste some time, if you are so inclined. Short shameful confession: I've only heard of 12 of the bands listed - and even that total is because there are some repeats. I feel out of it.


As I write this, it's -10C in Toronto, and the wind chill is -17. Of course, this isn't anywhere near as cold as it's going to get at times in January and February. While I firmly believe that global warming is a real problem, it's going to be harder to muster up support for climate change policies at a time of year in which the average Canadian is having to wear several layers of clothing to venture outside.