Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Tory versus Tory

On the weekend, I was walking on King Street near Parliament and saw this election poster:



Clearly, somebody has decided that the John Tory name will sell better in Toronto than the name of the party to which he and Ms. Taylor belong. This ad refers to the Progressive Conservative party only once: "PC" appears, in small print, at the right of the dark blue line under the stylized John Tory signature at the bottom left of the ad. (Ms. Taylor's web site does contain a copy of the PC logo, and is in proper Conservative blue.)

I'm not sure that emphasizing "John Tory" over "Progressive Conservative" is going to be an effective campaign strategy, for one obvious reason: he's named Tory, and his party is nicknamed the Tory party. Clearly, John Tory's destiny was to preside over the Tories. (Of course, given this logic, I should be working in retail.)


On a totally unrelated subject: I think I've mentioned this before, but I find it frustrating that healthy food costs more than crappy food. If I want to eat cheaply, the easiest way to do it is to go to my local pizza outlet, which offers a medium pepperoni for $6. Of course, this has enough calories to choke a horse and enough nutrients to sustain an ant, but it's cheap.