An article in today's Globe about Finance Minister Jim Flaherty contained this fascinating comment: "Among my Toronto friends, I don't know anyone who worries about paying their monthly bills; I do in Whitby."
Clearly, Mr. Flaherty and I are in different social circles. I know a whole bunch of people living in Toronto who worry about paying their monthly bills - or, to be accurate, not paying their monthly bills. One of us needs to get out more. Probably me.
The Globe also reported that the Toronto Transit Commission has announced plans to build light rail all over the city. If other levels of government come through with funding, the city hopes to build light rail along Kingston Road, Yonge from Finch to Steeles, Eglinton west from the St. Clair line to the airport and Don Mills Road from Steeles to the city centre, and from the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre.
My first thought: I like the idea, but I don't see the federal government paying for any of this, and I'm not sure that the provincial government will either. It's worth noting that the TTC pays more of its expenses with revenue from the fare box than any other public transit system in North America does: according to a 1999 article in Eye magazine, 80% of the TTC's costs are paid for from fares. Comparable percentages for Chicago, Atlanta and Los Angeles are 50%, 35% and 33%.